My 2013 Reading Challenges

Once again I am overdoing it on my reading challenges (see the list over there on the left... cringes ). So far I have 35 different challenges chosen to try. Many are challenges that require very few reads (6 or under) several require just 12 different reads. Then there are those that go way beyond that, such as the 2013 Category Challenge, Mount TBR and Book Bingo.

Some of the challenges are carryovers from 2012 that I never did get to and luckily they have been brought back for 2013.

One of my goals this year it to definitely read as much as I can from my already overflowing book shelves. I am notorious for buying books so much faster than I can read them. I'm sure I will buy new books this of an addiction for me and one I thoroughly enjoy and never want cured of!

I will admit. Deciding on which challenges to tackle and tyear I won't be able to help it and truthfully I don't want to. Yes buying books is somewhat hen which books to read for each challenge and which books will crossover challenges is as much fun as reading the books! It's my type A personality. Lists are a big thing with me. I make lists for everything and usually end up changing them at some point. And besides, If you're going to do something why not jump right in and do it in a big way! (Dec. 23, 2012)




====================================================================================================

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Classic Double Challenge is back for 2013

Description...Examples...Rules...Levels from the site:

"By "classics" you know I'm being very loose in my definition, as this challenge lets you read fairy tales, mythologies, classics, any kind of original story to compare with the retelling. Also "retelling" is pretty loose too - the original and the newer book have to relate in some way that you can define; it doesn't have to be a straight-forward retelling. Hopefully these definitions allow you the wiggle room needed to find something to fit your fancy.

Here are a few examples:
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.
The first is kind of a "classic" and in the second, the main character loves A Wrinkle in Time and it plays a part in the plot, but this is not a retelling.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein series by Kenneth Oppel.
The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein is a prequel series to Frankenstein.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Jane by April Lindner.
Jane is a retelling of Jane Eyre, set in a modern day.

So, you can see there are lots of options for you. If you need some inspiration for retellings, I've compiled a rather extensive list of retellings. I have another list for fairy tale retellings. Also, during the Retell Me a Story celebration next month I will be highlighting some newer retellings that have been released or are coming out soon."

Levels:

Small: You read 2 related books.

Medium: You read 4 books (2 sets of related books).

Large: You read 6 books (3 sets of related books).

Super Size: You read 8 books (4 sets of related books).


-----------------------------------------------------------

I had this one on my challenge list year but never got to any of the books I planned to read for it. So I will be trying it again this year.

From my current shelves there are 7 sets that I think will fit this challenge:

Set 1:
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Rebecca's Story by Sally Beauman

Set 2:
Scarlet Letter by Mathanial Hawthorne
Hester by Paula Reed

Set 3:
Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Unmasked by

Set 4:
Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Map of Time by Feliz Palma

Set 5:
Sybil by Flora Rheta Schrieber
Sybil Exposed by Debbie Nathan

Set 6:
Tempest by William Shakespeare
A Brave Vessel by Hobson Woodward

Set 7:
Beauty and the Beast
Beauty by Robin McKinley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



========================================================================

Year after Year - ongoing readings

Books by Year

Books Read in 2012
Books Read in 2011
Books Read in 2010
Books Read in 2009
Books Read prior to 2009
(that I can remember)


Books by Category

Fantasy books Read
Mysteries Read



Author Reads

Future addition